ANC, Breaking News, Business Politics, DA, General News, MKMVA

Govt. forks out R8 million on MKMVA elective conference

The Department of Military Veterans has reportedly spent over R8 million to sponsor the Deputy Minister, Kebby Maphatsoe’s Umkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) elective conference last week.

MKMVA President Kebby Maphatsoe

According to reports, the Deputy Minister of Military Veterans, Kebby Maphatsoe, forced the Departments Director General, to release R8 million for the MKMVA elective conference after the initial request was rejected because there was no evidence that 637 of the delegates were in fact bona fide military veterans.

Newly re-elected MKMVA president Kebby Maphatsoe slammed the claims that he had forced the department of military veterans to fork out R8 million to finance the association’s fifth elective conference.

He said his organisation had proof that no one was coerced to pay for its conference held earlier this month in Ekurhuleni.

According to a Sunday Times report at the weekend, Maphatsoe used force to get the department’s acting director-general, Max Ozynski, to release the R8 million in funding.

But Maphatsoe insisted MKMVA had followed procedures in requesting funding and wrote a letter to the department.

Opposition party Democratic Alliance  said they will therefore write to the Auditor General, Kimi Makwetu, to request that he institute an urgent investigation into these allegations.

“We cannot allow ANC political appointees to continue to abuse their offices to divert public funds for political events.” said DA in a statement

“Kebby Maphatsoe is a known Zuma-cheerleader and seems to act with impunity as a result.

“Should the AG find that this R8 million was diverted illegally, we will ensure that Maphatsoe is held accountable for this gross abuse of office to the full extent of the law.”

 

 

 

under

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*